eGFX Breakaway Box 550 (eGPU Expansion System)
Part No. GPU-550W-TB3
Break Into – Desktop Class Graphics Acceleration
Sonnet’s eGFX Breakaway™ Box is an award-winning family of Thunderbolt™ 3 external GPU enclosures that support any Thunderbolt compatible PCIe card, but are designed specifically for bandwidth-intensive AMD and NVIDIA® graphic cards. For the professional – accelerate special effects, animation, color grading, rendering, and editing. For gamers – enable graphic-intensive gaming on ultra-portable computers.
Sonnet maintains a working relationship with Thunderbolt and graphic cards partners, and is one of the first eGPU enclosures recommended by Apple®. Apple demonstrated eGPU connectivity over Thunderbolt 3 with Sonnet's eGFX Breakaway Box at Apple's 2017 WWDC (World Wide Developers Conference). The Breakaway Box was provided as an eGPU kit to developers to assist in the development of eGPU on Mac® computers.
eGFX Breakaway Box 550 Key Features:
- Power Supply: 550 Power Supply (equivalent to 600W recommended system power)
- Power Connector: Two 8-pin (6+2 pin) Power Connectors
- Card Power Support: Supports up to 375W Card
- Notebook Charging: Charging up to 87W
The eGFX Breakaway Box 550 has more than enough capability to support nearly every compatible GPU card. If you have a high-performance card, such as AMD Radeon™ RX Vega 64, Vega Frontier Edition, WX 9100 and overclocked NVIDIA cards), Sonnet offers the eGFX Breakaway Box 650 that provides additional power to drive these cards.
eGFX Breakaway Box – The Coolest and Quietest eGPU Enclosure on the Market
The eGFX Breakaway Box features a large variable-speed, temperature-controlled fan that quietly and effectively cools the installed card – perfect for noise-sensitive environments. Additionally, the enclosure supports graphics cards with 120mm water block coolers. Water block coolers run quieter than active fans; plus water block coolers enable higher overclocking.
Eco-friendly Thunderbolt 3 Power Features
Thunderbolt 3 provides eco-friendly power features to help save power and energy: the enclosure powers on when your computer is on and powers off when the computer is put to sleep, shut down, or disconnected. In addition, Thunderbolt 3 Power Delivery (PD) allows the Breakaway Box to power and charge notebook computers when the computer is sleeping
- One x16 PCIe 3.0 Slot
(support for one full-length, full-height, double-width PCIe card; occupied with a graphics card in bundle editions)
- Quiet, Temperature-controlled Fan
- One Thunderbolt 3 Port
- Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) 100W Cable
- Eco-friendly Power Features
- Thunderbolt Certified
- Mac and Windows Compatible
- 2-year Product Warranty
- Free Lifetime Customer Technical Support
- Designed in the USA
- Mac with Thunderbolt 3 Ports
- Mac with a Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt Port with an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter (supports compatible PCIe cards, not GPU cards)
- See Product Page Tech Specs and eGPU/OS Info for Up-to-date macOS, Video Drivers, and Product Compatibility Info
- Windows PC with a Thunderbolt 3 Port
- GPU Card use Requires an eGFX-enabled Windows PC
- See Product Page Tech Specs and eGPU/OS Info for Up-to-date Windows, Video Drivers, and Product Compatibility Info
Contact email@example.com for info.
WARNING: California's Proposition 65
Product specifications and information subject to change without notice. Computer hardware and accessories featured in photos that are not included with product are shown for illustration purposes; items sold separately.
Jump to 4K Editing with the eGFX Breakaway Box 550
Learn More About How Much Power External GPU Cards Really Need
Learn How eGFX Breakaway Box Powers On, Charges Notebooks, and Sleeps